March 12, 2011

Post 14: Start to Sea Life in a new way



Well this is the process I went through shown in a handy dandy slide show! I'm so glad I finally posted this, for I do this for most my pieces! (Take pictures of progress) It has shown me a deferent perspective, almost like looking at your piece far away like we do in class. Anyway I think the best part about my piece is the theme. If I had not came up with the "ocean" theme and the swatch I made... I Knew that I would run out of pattern ideas. The ocean also gave me my color theme of mixing the cold and the warm colors in a balanced way. I did take my time and made sure that I was satisfied with every section of the piece, so that I was able to fufil the project requirements and have a piece I enjoyed! I think that once it is stretched it will look, hum, official. Thoughts?

Mentally, this piece has a lot of meaning. I didn't want to include perspective in this piece at all, flat figures, basic pattern. I really wanted to highlight all of the parts of the people that are flesh (arms, neck, face) By putting forward these parts it separates us from our materialistic parts...clothes. Plus, obviously these people are to be underwater, not our natural habitat. I wanted to position them in a way that they were all moving upwards as well, as an escape. So in a way, maybe these people have who all to seem be relatively the same are different. This shown in their different hands/feet parts. This being an example of society's popular opinion and fads, yet a group of people attempting to escape...within.

Am I rambling? These things make sense in my head, but not really with words, hahahaha probably why I am an artist.

***On another note, sometime soon I will be taken pretty pictures of all my pieces instead of just ones from my phone!

Song for this piece :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB7nmTiIt38

6 comments:

  1. I like how you show the thought processs in making this work it really lets the veiwer feel like they are a part of the art and can see from your point of view, what you were thinking, how you felt, and how you went about it. I enjoy that you are taking patterns from nature and applying them in your work and I also liked that you experimented a bit in yours and were able to take a risk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really how you showed your piece as a step by step process in the widget. But, I like your piece more! I think it really came to life and portrayed what you set out to do. I think the background is my favorite part because it really ties the whole composition together and gives it an underwater feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I have already informed you (multiple times), I love this peice!! The theme of underwater is very evident. The red flows well with the greens and the blues. It is clutered in some areas, but I feel like it helps to define the character's features. I only have two real problems with it. I can't really make out where you used gold/silver leaf. Also, I don't really get the far left figure's feet. I know you told me that they are supposed to be like crab legs, but I still don't see it. Overall, good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked the way that you are showing your art from the start to the end. I really feel like I am under the ocean so I feel you achieved your theme very nicely. I only wished the faces were not so dark that way I could figure out what the pattern in them were.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like you to know that i think this slide show is amazing, I also admire how much you actually blog. Your work is great and i love that you are so passionate about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Widget & theme are things I am trying to continue! Yet work on faces, I got it y'all! I do not like the detail that faces demand...and it was difficult to try and portray that in a flat pattern design! Cannon don't forget that I still have to stretch this! Till then I'm keeping it safe at home...far far away from possible harm.

    Becca, THANK YOU SO MUCH. Good to know someone is actually reading this stuff! <3

    ReplyDelete