January 31, 2011

Post 6: Altered book Page1- Mechanical parts with one dominating shape




I don't know how I feel about this...

I used a lot of odd ways about going about this piece. I started off with the key idea, mechanical...that is the origin of mechanics, I mean keys have been around since the Egyptian lock like possibly 4,000 years ago. I wanted to make it original cause well the typical response to mechanical is gears. Any ways, so as you know we have to take that prompt and combine it with our theme (that I have yet to post) But basically doors represent choices, yet one is open slightly...and there happens to be a key not that far away...and the door that is open happens to be the only one with the keyhole.

Yet where the key is located, is rather hectic. Where as the doors are clear cut. Key representing yourself, where as decisions are more of a left or right deal yet in this case is chosen for you in the open door.

Then you see the "heart beat" wired line that connects all the enlarged doorknobs. Sometimes things are given to you, like the easy way out of situations. Yet you have other possibilities. That feeling of being "on the fence" is very personal when it comes to emotional decisions. What better way to show that then a physical heart beat.

Your heart on the line between decisions.

So that is the emotional explanation but the physically labor part is here...
I got the idea for the doors from the plug in my wall, the way I was looking at it from an angle just I liked that rectangular shape. Then I added the idea for the key in with doorknobs and then tied that in with my theme. I was in one of my art supply box looking for something more "mechanical" I was looking, looking and repeating mechanical over and over again for hours. Then I switched to metal...and then I found pipe cleaners! The ones with the fuzzy stuff, well I tore it apart and got the heart beat going. Then I got stuck for a day, and I was just going to paint the rest of the thing black...but when I sat down again tonight I was messing around with some paint on a broken CD and I noticed you get this really cool effect when you like scrap it on. So I used the back of my experimentation page from my theme page and basically made all the parts for the almost collage back round only using black and red and it turned out mixing really really well and interpreting my idea to have that as "my mind" and confused. I ended up tying the wire on with some thread and painting over the doors again with white just to touch it up and well. Done.

My mechanical part here is really physical and metaphorical. The lock and key, then the brain and decision making. And the shape is defiantly all the doors, so the rectangular polygon thing I have going on there.

I learned that wire is really cool, that paint technique is really cool, door knobs are awesome, and collecting all those nick-knacks like keys are finally being put to use.

My song to go along with this piece is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBG7P-K-r1Y

COMMENTS?

5 comments:

  1. I like to think of the wire cinnected to all the doors as trip wire and will open every door. I love the intent and the colors deffinatly makes the picture deeper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this piece sarah. The first thing that i look at is the key and the rest just pulls me into the piece and it is simply interesting. I would not have thought about a key for 'mechanical'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the background on this, It really pops out and I think you should reuse it on something else. With that being said though, the background kinda fights with the center of focus for what I should look at. So maybe make it so it is not competing so much and make it so the background ties in with the key and door and that could be freaking amazing! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. from the discussion of the above, I think it is one of the best techniques...
    MRO Supply com.

    ReplyDelete