August 21, 2012

Bye bye $$$

So I just left my drawing 101 class and I'm sitting in this freshman meeting and Holy cow I'm going to learn so much this semester. It's odd though I thought I'd be behind everyone but I think on a happy medium. The only thing I'm kind weirded out about is I need to go buy all of these supplies and a lot I already have and I wanna get the big easy things like sketchbooks and such from online cause I have that certificate. Wanna wait till I visit all my classes though so I don't double buy or have to make more than 1 trip to hobby lobby. I gotta get that book... And read it by Thursday. Ugh


Here is my supplies list:
-1 paper
/newsprint pad 18x24... Two pads*
/Strath more or other medium weight paper 80lbs... Drawing pad 18x24

- pencils
/soft pencils 2B to 8b *
B is soft h is hard
/graphite sticks

- charcoal
/ compressed medium to soft*
/charcoal pencils medium to soft
\ vine charcole , medium to soft 2 sticks *

-conte crayon and or pencils
/ black, white * sepia sanguine or red brown

- kneaded erasers , pink pearl , art gum or vinyl

-sketchbooks
/11x14 or 8x 10
/ pocket sketchbook 3x5

-other materials
/ crow quill or other pen
/ portfolio *
/Pencil sharpener *
/ drafting or masking tape *
/chamois skin or other artist stamp*
/2 to 4 bulldog clips *
/workable fixative
/may knife , exacto knife *
/supply box

Some pics of our first drawing.... Still life. We had no direction really and u just kinda winged it. At least I'm not a photography major... They don't know anything drawing and some people are like self taught. :O I feel prepared. Much to do, laundry

2 comments:

  1. Lindsay Wesner (Elevation RH)August 21, 2012 at 11:52 PM

    Hey Sarah, thought I'd give you some comments on what you'll ACTUALLY need from someone who bought it all and then was like...what the crap why did I buy all that if I didn't need it...so honestly call me or email me @ wesnerL2@winthrop.edu and I'll tell you more about what you really need....and where to get it cheapest

    Here is my supplies list:
    -1 paper
    /newsprint pad 18x24... Two pads*-You can get away with buying one for now...buy at Michaels or Hobby Lobby (prob hobby lobby)
    /definitely get Strathmor 80lbs... Drawing pad 18x24...it's the best kind

    - pencils
    /soft pencils 2B to 8b *
    get at least 4 2b, 3 4b 1 of each 6b and 8b
    B is soft h is hard (hard ones are kind pointless....get one of each if you must (and not every number....just the evens...if you need HB pencils get the most of those or the 2b....you will go through those super quick...and they are the best)
    /graphite sticks - 2b 4b 6b 1-2 of each should be good (more of softer)

    - charcoal
    / compressed medium to soft*-you will use a fair bit...MORE THAN PENCIL probably....so invest in a decent pack...
    /charcoal pencils medium to soft (same with these as the pencil-number and reasoning....3-4 of softer each 2b and 4b and 1-2 harder)
    \ vine charcole , medium to soft 2 sticks *

    -conte crayon and or pencils
    / black, white * sepia sanguine or red brown
    Black the most....2 sticks-4, white 1-2, brown, etc 1

    - kneaded erasers 2 , pink pearl 2 , art gum or vinyl (these two were pointless...)

    -sketchbooks-definitely wait on these....sometimes you can combine, but a lot of times it is confusing to not have separate....so maybe get one for each and honestly you'll use them at some point through the years...)
    /11x14 or 8x 10 -one big one small
    / pocket sketchbook 3x5

    -other materials
    / crow quill or other pen -idk...
    / portfolio *....invest in a decent one and a super cheap one to turn things in.... (at least 22x17-bigger is better) USE A MICHAELS COUPON....these are expensive and doesn't matter where to get them....so use a coupon at michaels....
    /Pencil sharpener * the red ones are awesome....also you'll learn to use your utility or exact to sharpen...it's fun
    / drafting or masking tape *
    /chamois skin or other artist stamp* chamois is a sheep skin....it looks like a piece of leather that is light tan....for blending charcoal....get a medium-large one and cut it into several pieces, to use throughout the years
    /2 to 4 bulldog clips *YES
    /workable fixative YES
    /may knife , exacto knife *YES
    /supply box not necessary, but a good backpack is...these are helpful though-especially freshman year-you can prob get a cheap tool box at lowes or home depot-THEY WILL CHARGE YOU LIKE 40-50 BUCKS at MICHAELS OR HOBBY LOBBY for the same thing, but called an "Art Bin"....don't fall for it....it's not worth it....get one with compartments....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsay you are the best, I just shot you an email about the sketch books. I don't really want little ones! Email me back :) Thank youuuu

    ReplyDelete